Step-by-Step Overview of our Turf Installation Process


One of the most frequently asked questions that we get is ‘what is your turf installation process?’. To help answer this, we put together this blog post and video. Ideal Turf Solutions is the pioneer of artificial turf in Massachusetts. For nearly 30 years, we have installed golf tee lines, backyard putting greens, pet turf, childcare and playground turf, and more, for clients across residential, retail, commercial, athletic fields, and other sports-related facilities.

At Ideal Turf Solutions, we invest in people, processes, and technology to deliver high-quality synthetic grass products and services to our clients.  We go to great lengths to purchase unparalleled turf – the finest turf manufactured in the USA. Our turf installation team is well-versed in innovative technology, such as virtual designs and lasers. We are also known for our top-of-the-line turf installation equipment – from our large earthmovers down to our OSHA-approved hand tools.

When you work with Ideal Turf Solutions, you benefit from our longstanding artificial turf design and installation expertise! Keep scrolling to read and see our turf installation process!

Our Turf Installation Process

Before excavation begins for the turf installation, we work closely with our clients to help design a turf that meets their needs, budget, and lifestyle. We share best practices, knowledge, experience as well as design ideas during the first phase of the project to ensure client satisfaction.

The turf installation process is then broken down into 5 phases:



The first step in our turf installation process is Excavation. Excavation is an important step that many overlook. Our team removes up to 6 inches of existing material during this process. We get below the weed line so that it is solid and doesn’t move with frost, water, or other elements.


Base Material

Step two involves spreading the base material. 90% is a 3/4 gravel base material, while the remaining 10% is stone dust.  Beware of providers who only use stone dust as it can cause the turf to buckle over time.  While it makes this phase a two-step process, it is worth it in the long run to ensure a durable and long-lasting turf. We compact the base material every two inches to ensure seamless turf installation. 


Lay the Turf

The next step in our installation process is laying the turf and infill. Turf is manufactured in widths of 15 feet. To create a consistent look with turf, it is important to use nordot glue and seaming tape. Again, we caution clients against using off-the-shelf turf glue. The glue we use is more expensive but saves your turf from costly repairs in the future.

Infill: Round sand infill is carefully broomed into the turf at a rate of 2-3 lbs./square feet. This ensures that the turf drains appropriately.  Skipping this step could cause puddling and damage to the new turf space. 



During this turf installation step, we trim edges and adhere the perimeter with stainless staples.



Our final step in our turf installation process includes brooming the surface so that the fiber blades stand straight up, and the artificial turf is ready for our clients to enjoy!    

Proud Member of the Synthetic Turf Council

Ideal Turf Solutions is a longstanding member of the Synthetic Turf Council (STC). We believe the STC membership is invaluable to our business. Over the last 15 years, we have relied on the knowledge we get as a member, including updates on the latest technology, industry updates, and need-to-know news, to continue providing our clients with high-quality turf solutions.


Benefits to working with Ideal Turf Solutions

Our clients say it better than we do.

“… always go above and beyond with their work … attention to detail, timing and responsiveness were amazing …  FANTASTIC … efficient, meticulous, professional, friendly … the result BLEW away all our expectations … above and beyond  … top notch … Working with Ideal Turf Solutions was easy and communication was always great … workers are fantastic, clean and knowledgeable … absolutely expert, professional and industrious … A+ recommendation …”.

Contact us today to get started on your next project!
Call us at 781-866-6161 or fill out the form below